Software vs Hardware Volume

General discussion about RuneAudio. Do not post any support or feature requests here.

Software vs Hardware Volume

Postby The Reverend » 30 Jan 2016, 15:54

Howdy,

I have a quite simple question. Is there any advantage in using Hardware vs. Software Volume. I am running an Odroid C1+ so its software volume control or nothing since hardware is not available.

I can also adjust the volume on my preamp, but using software is so comfy because i can use my phone to adjust volume, or the web interface.

So is there any disadvantage in usind Software volume ccontrol? I am designing a small preamp at the moment and i could leave out the volume control pot and circuit parts when software volume control is used.
The Reverend

Re: Software vs Hardware Volume

Postby silvrr » 30 Jan 2016, 18:14

Take a listen to the software volume control, I turned it off as I could hear some noise when it wasn't at 100%.
silvrr

Re: Software vs Hardware Volume

Postby PeteB » 06 Mar 2016, 03:56

The Reverend wrote:... So is there any disadvantage in using Software volume control? ...

Signal to noise ratio.

You can't connect a 0 db output directly to a fixed gain amplifier without some sort of volume control.

If the volume control is part of the device (software or hardware), then reducing the amplitude of the analog output in the presence of a fixed amount of digital noise makes the SNR much worse. The higher the gain at the power amplifier, the more you have to reduce the volume at the source... and the more noticeable the noise becomes.

This is part of the reason why a 20-watt/channel amplifier with low input sensitivity can sound better with a Raspberry Pi and DAC+ than a 100-watt/channel amp with better specs (the comparison is only valid when driving the same speakers, obviously)

If using a separate preamp with volume control is an option, it will probably produce better results.
PeteB

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to General discussion